Vat Savitri

Many of my hindu friends would laugh at me for sure because i am writing about Vat Savitri. Yes its a festival for women, a day where many hindu women pray for the long life of their husbands in this life and expect the same husband for the next seven life!!

We all know Savitri went along with YAMA to get back her husbands life. She had to go through many hurdles and hardships to get her husband back. And all along she never left the path of Dharma. One should also remember that Narda had told her that Stayavan is going to be alive for a year and yet she marries him our of her love towards him.

Just imagine her life. Knowing every day that her husband would be dead in less than an years time, she marries and never once lets him or his family know through her action that her husbands days are numbered. What courage to deal with this hurdle. This thought made me write this post. How do i deal with hurdles far smaller than Savitris?

Life, everyone would agree, does have hurdles and hardships, and we in our own ways solve, overcome, go around these hurdles. But are we actually seeing what do hurdles do to us? How do we react and relate to them? I have used the words react and relate with a specific reason.

Whenever a situation arises, we react and with reaction comes feelings and emotions. These can be either negative / positive feelings or emotions.  But what matters the most is how we relate ourselves to these feelings and emotions, especially the negative ones.

I can always see that when i relate to feelings or emotions positively, I am cheerful and even more so courageous to take on solving the issue. I am more open to taking feedbacks, suggestions etc from others. Many a time Life does feel like a song at times like these.

When I relate to feelings or emotions negatively, the 1st thing that comes across is fear. With fear of unknown comes, anxiety and with anxiety comes muddleness in mind. What i mean by muddleness of mind is that i am confused, unsure of myself, and lose trust with my own self. Muddleness causes my mind to start imagining things and worry about things that are not real. But this appears so real, that there is a sudden slowdown of energy in my whole body.

Then my mind starts to think RATIONALLY. Starts to analyze events which led to the current situation.I do find myself looking at the situation in various different ways and try to make sense as to why it occurred. Most of than not, I can come up with something to blame and then be a victim of that. It could be fate, stars etc. Once i am a victim, rest is easy. Just Give Up.

What i find commendable of this day is that it teaches us to remember to Face hurdles more positively than negatively. Its all in our mind how we relate to a situation and along with that are our actions associated. Our actions reflect our  relatedness to situations.

No comments: